IP Report: Shaping Choices in the Digital World
CNIL publishes its 6th Innovation and Foresight Report (Shaping Choices in the Digital World, From dark patterns to data protection: the influence of UX/UI design on user empowerment) which explores challenges related to the design of digital services.
The report is divided in four chapters and it also includes a design fiction on attention economy and tricks such as dark patterns. We also highlight the big platforms’ ability to use UX and UI as a soft power tool. Using their central position in the digital ecosystem, they establish themselves as essential references, which spread specific visual grammars across the digital world.
The last chapter consists of policy recommendations. Interface design should be at the center of the regulator's concerns, just as it is already at the heart of the relationship between individuals and service providers. Finally, this report proposes avenues for design professionals to discuss their respective practices and co-build privacy-friendly design practices.
- Chapter 1: What links between interaction design, interfaces and data protection?
- Chapter 2: Relations, individuals and services: «It’s Complicated»
- Chapter 3: Powers and freedom in the land of interfaces
- Design Fiction: The attack of the neurotargeters
- Chapter 4: The necessary control of design and architectures of choice
Photo : Unsplash - CC-BY Jose-Alejandro-Cuffia -